httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2000, err Apache 2.0 gets real
Date Sun, 01 Aug 1999 14:31:11 GMT
> Well, there is the minor point that that's all the end-user has to
> work with, so they'll send patches relative to ./configure which
> we'll need to backtrace into configure.in. Or else we'll get
> something like "this needs to be changed."

Well, I can honestly say that in the past 5 years of distributing PHP with
an autoconf-generated configure script, nobody has ever sent in a patch
against the generated configure script.  There have however been hundreds
of patches submitted against configure.in which we obviously distribute as
well.  autoconf is a known entity out there.  Anybody capable of
generating a patch file knows that they should be looking at the .in file
and not the generated file.

> On some OSs, unfortunately, you have to edit ./configure to
> get it to work or to "override" some assumptions.

I have never run across that, but I won't dispute it.  Scanning the PHP
bug database there are no such bugs reported.  So either the people who
might have hit this problem are so used to it and know exactly what to fix
and thus don't bother complaining or they instantly gave up on PHP.

It would be cool to get a real example of this from an intelligent
configure.in script run through a current version of autoconf.

-Rasmus