httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Why bother with APR?
Date Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:30:26 GMT

I am testing the waters here.  I don't mind getting flamed, but
constructive answers would be much better.  This is not me being upset
about what has happened over the last few days, this is me really not
seeing a future for APR.

The original goal of APR is gone, and APR is floundering out there right
now.  I no longer see a need for it.  The original goal was a portability
layer, then it became a portable run-time (small difference but important
when you consider what APR will cover), most recently it seems to be a
very very small portable run-time again.  Fine.  That is easy to
implement.  I would argue however, that this has been done already in
Apache, and a separate library is not needed.

The ap_popen* routines easily do what it looks like APR is being asked to
do.  The only problem with them, is that they haven't really been ported
fully to windows (I think this is the case, but I could be wrong).

The few functions that we don't have (e.g. ap_open_pipe) could be written
easily enough, and just added to the alloc.c file or whatever file ends up
containing ap_popen*).

Basically, I think the APR and MPM concepts are at odds with each other.
MPM's seem to want to split out function based on what system you are on,
and APR wants to combine function regardless of what system you are on.

There are a few places where having comine calling formats makes a lot of
sense, but they are few and far between, and they do not require their own
library.  Create_Process is a function that screams out to be created on
all platforms with a common API across platforms.  Great, take those few
calls that are required, and put them in the os/* directory in a file
called common_api.c.  The directory functions should also be put in this
area.

Unless I am missing something, APR should be canabalized into the
common_api.c file, and we should go on coding Apache, and ignore APR.  If
I am missing something, please let me know.

Personally, I would love to get back to writing part of the web server.  I
only moved down to APR, because it seemed like a necessary project, that
need seems to have disappeared now.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd