httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: First in a long line of APR related patches.
Date Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:34:25 GMT

I am keeping this short, because my dial-up connection keeps dyting on me.
The signal stuff isn't really signal-safeness.  It is really, should we be
acting on signals when in the APR code.  It is more or less a way of
saying, block all signals inside APR functions.  I was giving two examples
of things APR could do for us.

I don't especially care what NSPR did with regard to async thread
cancellation.  There are people outside of the Apache group who may want
to have asynch thread cancellation in other non-ASF related projects.  I
want to have that ability in APR if other projects want it.

I am more concerned with the flexability that contexts can give us in the
future.  I want to know that if there is information that most or all APR
APR functions need access to, there is an obvious place to put it.  Pools
are for memory management, and adding more to them just muddies their
purpose.  As far as only having a single void * for user data, what else
do you want?  Yes, we could put together a whole API for user data, I'm
not stopping you.  I haven't done it yet.  I have other things I am
working on, right now, so it is low on my prioity list.

I won't be logging on anymore util I get home tomorrow night, but I'll
respond to everything else then.  I will hopefully be posting a complete
patch that allows Apache to serve pages while using contexts.

Ryan

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 01:30:43AM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > what would APR do differently when told to be signal safe versus not?
>
> I have to actaully look at the code, but I believe it will just mask
> out signals on the way in and unmask them on the way out. Ryan?
>
> --
> Manoj Kasichainula - manojk at io dot com - http://www.io.com/~manojk/

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd