httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: First in a long line of APR related patches.
Date Sat, 21 Aug 1999 00:49:27 GMT

Executive Summary of contexts vs pools:

A pool is used exclusively for memory management.  Allocating, freeing,
etc.

A context allows us to do a bit more.  It manages memory, as well as
allowing us to control how the underlying APR layer works.  Is the APR
layer signal safe, are threads cancelable inside APR functions., etc.  It
also provides an easy place to put user data, which can be used for asynch
I/O.  This also provides a measure of freedom for the future.

It is important to realize that this has no bearing on variable names.  I
have this all over the place in my patch:

ap_context_t *pool.

That's it.  I have been trapped on a plane all day, so I'm keeping things
short today;.

Ryan

> Arg. I've totally forgotten what the difference between a context and
> pool was, and I'm about go on holiday again. Is there an executive
> summary?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben.
>
> --