httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: First in a long line of APR related patches.
Date Tue, 24 Aug 1999 06:57:11 GMT

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 10:19:26PM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> >
> > > allowing us to control how the underlying APR layer works.  Is the APR
> > > layer signal safe, are threads cancelable inside APR functions., etc.
> >
> > async notification/cancellation are bad/non-portable...
>
> yes, they are bad. But, third-party modules will end up using them,
> unless we ban it. We don't want to bother with blocking and unblocking
> signals+cancellation for every APR call inside Apache proper (well, at
> least we don't with the mpmt_pthread and dexter MPMs), but we do
> inside some third-party modules.

So you're saying, "I understand it sucks, some people might want it, and
I'm going to help them do it".  Interesting.  That wouldn't be motivation
for me.

NSPR doesn't have async notification.  Draw your own conclusions.

> Yeah, one alternative is for modules to do this themselves, instead of
> relying on APR to block signals. I don't think that's too bad, but it
> could get messy.

Modules can alway screw the server over, is it worth it to "fix" one small
leak when they can punch a hole elsewhere?

Dean