httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Win 95 and 98.
Date Tue, 17 Aug 1999 17:53:01 GMT

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> I would like to consider no longer supporting 95 and 98 on Apache 2.0.  Of
> course, we will do anything possible to make these platforms work, but MS
> doesn't consider these to be server platforms.  Why do we continue totell
> people Apache works on them.
>
> I suggest that in 2.0, we put in a warning, basically saying that Apache
> is no longer a Beta on NT, but that on 95 and 98, we make no garauntees.
> It will work to the best of our abilities, but if it is slow, or doesn't
> have all the options, there is nothing we can do about it.

I don't understand why we need to declare this.

MPM allows you to have a win95/98 MPM, and a winnt mpm.  APR lets us treat
the two as different platforms.

Let the market decide -- if there is demand for a win95/98 apache (and I
think there is -- especially for laptop users trying to carry demos to
meetings) then someone will step up and do the work.

In the meanwhile, if there's demand for a better winnt version of apache
(and I'm sure there is) then someone will step up and write a better winnt
port.

Dean