httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: Which thread/process
Date Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:30:32 GMT

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> method would work without this information.  As I said when we were
> removing this information, I think we removed it FAR too quickly without
> thinking of the implications.  I would like to put back the thread_num and
> child_num unless somebody else can give me a way to get this information.

um, i've been advocating a connection index, just like manoj just
mentioned, for ages.

> For anybody who doesn't remember, mod_cgid is a module that creates a cgi
> daemon.  It is VERY expensive on most *nix's to fork a threaded process,
> because all of the memory for all of the threads is copied, even though
> only one thread is active.  To get around this problem, mod_cgid creates
> it's own cgi daemon at initialization time, and for all cgi's it, it forks
> this single-threaded daemon.  Before anybody asks this time, this is not
> like cgisock.  My goal is to keep 100% backward compatability.  cgisock
> does not do this.  cgisock will not run standard cgi's.  mod_cgid MUST run
> standard cgi's.

to be honest, i find your zillion of pipes solution to be extremely

am i missing/forgetting something obviously wrong with a single unix
socket solution?  a daemon sitting on the unix socket doing accept() and
fork()ing for each connection?

View raw message