httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: [Patch]: PR 3454, PR 3019. .htaccess ignored in <Directory ~ "reg-ex"> directories.
Date Thu, 05 Aug 1999 19:43:28 GMT

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >
> > Besides, it's documented that .htaccess are only applied while
> > walking the tree for the non-regex directory sections.
>
> I can't find that behaviour documented.  Even if it is, at
> first blush I consider it broken -- if the only <Directory*>
> container you *have* is a regex one, not processing .htaccess
> files in matching directories is counterintuitive and (IMHO)
> bogus.

http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#directory

    If multiple (non-regular expression) directory sections match the
    directory (or its parents) containing a document, then the directives
    are applied in the order of shortest match first, interspersed with
    the directives from the .htaccess files.

> >                                                         And
> > for both the PRs you mention they don't even need the regex,
> > they can just use wildcard which works as expected (and is
> > more efficient).
>
> Yah, but that's a handwave.  I'm sure there are conditions in
> which that's not the case.

No it's not a handwave, it's a statement of a fact -- i'm saying that
they don't even need us to "fix" this "problem" for their configurations.

I'm sure there are conditions in which a unix user would like to have
ebcdic translation on the fly, but we don't build apache to support that,
do we?  We have to draw the line somewhere.

Dean