httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jie Gao <>
Date Sat, 07 Aug 1999 01:52:51 GMT
On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Eric Cholet wrote:

> On Friday, August 06, 1999 7:09 AM, Jie Gao [] wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Please forgive me for asking this simple question, but I've looked in
> > vain in the src code for the place where the variable
> > HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR is set up for the CGI environment.
> >
> > What I need is to have a proxying Apache server pass that variable (not
> > "remote_ip") to a backend server, so that users coming through
> > mutiple proxies will not have their real ips lost to the backend
> > server.
> Check out

Thanks for referring this to me, but that module does not do what I need:

It gets the ip address from remote_ip and puts it in a new
X-Forwarded-For header, rather than forwarding the X-Forwarded-For
header Apache receives (after prepending the current server's ip, as
proxy server is perhaps supposed to do).

The problem with this is that remote_ip is the ip of the last proxy, not
the client's ip.

View raw message