httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: First in a long line of APR related patches.
Date Mon, 23 Aug 1999 07:46:41 GMT

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 10:19:26PM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> >
> > > allowing us to control how the underlying APR layer works.  Is the APR
> > > layer signal safe, are threads cancelable inside APR functions., etc.
> >
> > async notification/cancellation are bad/non-portable...
>
> yes, they are bad. But, third-party modules will end up using them,
> unless we ban it.

.... or the API provides such good alternatives/ways-to-do-it that you do
not need them. Because it is a thing which is tempting, which you 'want'
to allow for in a third party module, or worse, shared library in
binary-only form. The ldap/whois++ module I was looking at recently was a
case in point.

Dw.