httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: it's just a number
Date Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:29:50 GMT

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> I don't really feel like getting into the current debate.
>
> But it's really just a number.
>
> I don't particularly see the difficulty with releasing 1.3.92 at some
> point.
>
> I've said that before though.

The actual tag is not the issue; it is just the fact that making small
mod's within a release is less work than restarting the whole release
procudure. Both for the RM and say for a specific build, e.g. the Win32
build, as you only have to rebuild affected platforms. I.e. you have a bit
more leeway to fiddle to get a release right.

I think/hope we are not discussing tag semantics; but I hope we are trying
to get to a more robust release procedure _whilst_ minimizing the work for
the RM and optimizing speed vs reliability.

Dw