httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-devsite how-to-release.html
Date Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:34:45 GMT

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Martin Kraemer wrote:
> >
> > >      <HR>
> > >   -  <STRONG>[ Building the source release ]</STRONG><BR>
> > >   +  <B>[ Building the source release ]</B><BR>
> >
> > Is this the "new html style"? When I was young, I was taught that
> > logical attributes should be used rather than physical ones. ;-)
>
> Roy and Henrik have convinced me that font-based markup is
> better in most cases than phrase-based.  The big eye-opener
> for me was Roy pointing out that <strong> would result in
> a speech synthesiser shouting at the user. :-D  Typically not
> the desired effect..

Hmm... our speach synthesizer 'emphasizes' it, by talking more pronounced.

And offers it as a 'first spoken' when you ask it to abstract a page.
(that is kind of akin to scaning a page visually and reading details
further down). I actually could not resist and went throught the apache
pages with a blind friend.

They are not that bad compared to average. I am now convicing him to
improve them :-)

Dw.