httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: FW: FTP Services.....
Date Thu, 05 Aug 1999 16:16:44 GMT

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> > While I would like to see an ftp server for Windows (I know, I know),
> > I don't see the benefit for Unix platforms, which all come with an
> > ftp server.  Unless, we were planning to use the same daemon for http
> > and ftp. And just use the right protocol depending on the request.
> > It should just be a matter of making another small abstraction.  :)

> Of course, there *would* be a certain cachet in providing
> the first (?) FTP server that provided back-end CGI support.
> CGI was intended to be usable by multiple protocol daemons,
> after all.

Though you'd have to wait for apache to get enough streams abstraction to
do the flow control and the second command channel. I've done a bespoke
thingy on IRIX to have CGI and mSQL based authentification behind the
wu-ftp-d using bits of apache and it was not a hack worth repeating ever.
Nor one which would ever scale. FTP is really a different protocol
which IMHO is not sitting easily with the current protocol abstraction
in apache.

Though of course, now I risk Ralf proving me wrong by writing a very
clever mod_rewrite config sequence which just happen's to rewrite it
all into http :-))

Dw.