httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject RE: general/4809: It would be nice if Apache could write compressed logfiles.
Date Thu, 05 Aug 1999 15:29:56 GMT

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> > Agreed. I like this.
> >
> > I too see the benefit of compressing the log files directly rather
> > than the pipe option.
>
> Trivial to do by linking in zlib.

Yup. I am having a go at this (proxy hacking is no fun) and see if I can
get 'http' prefix hack for 1.2 ready for 2.0 in an easy to extend shape.

As we now have the hooks I am seriously thinking of making use of it non
http type modules; i.e. things which have nothing to do with handling
a request at all.

Two things are foremost on my mind; read/write modules; such as http:
socket: zip and 'table backend modules'; which sit behind the table
functions. At create time you can specify to do either flat, hashed or
even shared tables. Using appropriate backends. Obvious one are hashed
tables, SQL based persisten tables and cross process shared Berkeley DB
tables.  That has been in my out tray long enough and should be done
soemthign with.

Dw