httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: general/4809: It would be nice if Apache could write compressed logfiles.
Date Thu, 05 Aug 1999 10:27:41 GMT

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> What's wrong with using piped logs in this case?

Nothing, pure 'feature' hunting.

I've recently started to appreciate more what it takes to roll out apache
in a environment where your average adiministrator is rented from
companies like origin or cmg. And that means that they propably do not
know of pipes (or vi; I had to install 'ee' for editing the password
files).

And then being able to select one from a commercial vendor which does all
this by magic (or as part of the binary distribution) is an asset. Not in
the least also because you can then tick another checkbox on the ISM or IT
managers list. Who usually is an accountant whou counts anyway.

Plus I still like the idea to have, everywhere where we reference a
'stream' or 'file' to use a URI or URL. Esp. as the proxy already needs
to know a few thing about that anyway.

Dw.