httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: small contrib
Date Wed, 04 Aug 1999 12:50:54 GMT

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Tom Vogt wrote:

> Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> > But seriously, taking an example man page from the support directory and
> > populating it with the logbox doc's would be a requisite.
>
> the new version of logbox, including a small manpage, can be found on my
> ftp site. I hope it is useful and if you like it, do whatever you please
> (would be nice to mention me).
>
> ftp://ftp.lemuria.org/pub/Code/logbox.tar.gz

Does anyone _object_ to adding this in support ? Either for 1.3 or from
2.0 onwards ? (After perhaps a further update to the man page; to mention
the hint which is in the C code:

>> Add this:
>>
>>	TransferLog "|/usr/local/sbin/logbox /some/where 3"
>>
>> to httpd.conf. The generated name will be /some/where.date where
>> date is the date of the logfile. <datefield> should tell where the date
>> can be found in the logfile lines. We assume space-seperated fields and
>> a date in [date:time] format. The [script to run] is optional and
>> defaults to gzip. It will be called with the name of the last (just
>> finished) logfile as a parameter.

One reason I have for adding it is that it will allow us to put jet an
other tick in the comparison tables between web servers; that of able
to rotate log files on date out of the box.

Note that the code as it stand is _not_ portable; I'd need to go over
it to catch the O_CREAT and the likes. But ap_compat.h has the works.

Dw.