httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: ready_to_run
Date Mon, 02 Aug 1999 21:37:36 GMT

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Please explain more why you need this.  Doesn't post_config_hook handle
> this already?

Yes and No. If I had to hack it in 'now', that is how I would do it. As
that is the last hook called _now_ prior to start.

But as we are still plotting and creating I'd like a clear place where the
server is completely ready to run, and about to run. And where I am sure
that all configuration details are set, correct.

> > Incidentially I'd also like it to be a OK/ERROR returning go/no-go
> > function; i.e. if it fails (for example because resources) are lacking
> > things are not to continue booting into multi user land.

> If it returns error, what should the server do?  clean up all the pools
> and exit?

Yes. Typical reasons are no resources, unable to get lock's, whatever.

Typically things which are _not_ config related and propably will require
either a Page to your system admin, a reboot of the machine or expensive
tuning consultancy.

The main reason for needing it, is that I'd like to start some background
collating and maintenance processes; but I want to be sure that I have
all config stuff is done, by everyone.

Dw.