httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Apache 1.3.8 pre-release tarball available for testing]
Date Fri, 13 Aug 1999 00:33:00 GMT
Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net> wrote:

>The BIND4 stuff (that's in libc everywhere, like FreeBSD) isn't
>reentrant so if you have host lookups set to On (not all that common,
>I admit) it slows stuff down for initial connects quite often.

AIUI the re-entrancy bogosity is only a problem when you try to do
threading which makes libresolv even more totally useless for
concurrent DNS lookups than is is in a single-threaded program.

Apache doesn't even try to do concurrent lookups which is where the
HostNameLookus On slowdown comes from -- the DNS is inherently slow.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    dot@dotat.at    fanf@demon.net    e pluribus unix