httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: Where to start the Apache 2.0 code base
Date Tue, 03 Aug 1999 22:18:57 GMT
>And this is why I am saying if we are going to base off of Apache 1.3.8,
>we need to set up the repository NOW and not spend more time working on
>apache-mpm. This is already a huge diff with just HOOKS and MPM. If we
>add APR to apache-mpm, the diff will double in size. If we put APR
>directly into a clean repository, then we save the effort of sifting
>through a huge diff to pull it back out of Apache-mpm.

Yes, but there is a large amount of work needing to be done before
you can add APR.  APRizing the rest of Apache was the last of the
things on my earlier response to your original question.  Actually
putting APR in the tree (unAPRized) can be done first.  Getting
configure set up can be done first.  Finishing the meld of mpm and
pthreads can be done first.  What I am saying is that we need a
clean repository, but you don't need to sit around twiddling your
thumbs until it is available -- the two are independent actions,
and will probably be easier to accomplish than continuing this
thread of e-mail.

The size of the diff doesn't matter -- the degree to which the changes
are intertwined does matter.  Regardless, reviewing that set of changes
is not a waste of time.  Three years ago, we wouldn't even allowed them in
Apache until they had been reviewed.

This is me learning from two completely f***ed up release plans for
1.2.0 and 1.3.0.  It is time to do it right, and the only way we are
going to do that is to do something different than we did before,
with the hope that it works better.  I know for a fact that this is
the way it must be done if we are to support people doing software
research on change analysis.  I can't be entirely sure that what is
good for that research is also good for the individual developers
doing their own change analysis, but it is my opinion as a long-time
developer that it is essential if we are to continue as a collaborative
project.

....Roy