httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: Apache 2000, err Apache 2.0 gets real
Date Mon, 02 Aug 1999 06:21:53 GMT
>I'll try to make sure this never happens again. As I'm sure you know,
>fighting emacs autoindent is hard work, and I haven't got the time for
>it for such wholesale changes.

Yep, that's why I don't use emacs (well, that and control-key-itis).

>> protected the global names from collisions,
>
>Proposal? They are, after all, just function names. How are any global
>functions protected from collisions (ap_ is used already, so you've lost
>me slightly)?

I meant the symbol names -- IMPLEMENT_HOOK is a pretty universal concept.
Likewise for the other HOOK macros.  How about AP_HOOK_DO, or anything
else that is short and specific to Apache.  I just don't want to make
that kind of global change after setting up a nice clean repository.

>> and included documentation,
>
>Let us know when you've finished. More seriously, if we could agree on
>an in-code docco method, I'd probably do some. I can't be bothered with
>parallel docco. Alternatively (since I can predict no-one else will
>bother) I suppose I can just write comments.

Well, I'll put it this way.  I can't be bothered to understand your code
until you at least explain what it is doing, why it is doing it, and
where others are supposed to use it.  If the only docs I have is the code
itself, then the changes are not maintainable and won't be distributed
as Apache.  This is one of the key parts of the Apache architecture you
are replacing, so I expect at least what RST wrote for API.html.  Actually,
I expect a lot more than that, since in the past the lack of documentation
has been a sore point, but what I won't allow is for the situation to get
any worse.  And don't tell me you'll get to it eventually -- that card was
burned after the Win32 fiasco.

....Roy