httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Re: Win32 Install Paths
Date Tue, 10 Aug 1999 19:59:41 GMT
At 03:37 PM 8/10/99 , Joseph wrote:
>Can you just not put anything in the registry at all?

No.  Windows NT service entries need to be put in the registry.

>The registry is a very evil thing and great lengths should be taken
>to avoid it whenever practical.

I must disagree.  However, this reeks of a religious debate, and so I
will not discuss it further.

>With Apache being a cross-platform project, wouldn't it make more
>sense to do as much as practical in a cross-platform fashion?

Yes.  As much as practical has been done.  99.999% of the
configuration is done in text files.

>What other platforms have a registry?

OS/2 (I've heard)

>Also, paths that do not conform to 8.3 naming often cause
>problems.  Sure the problems are mostly with M.S. programs (like
>installers, etc), but there are tools and what-nots that do not like
>paths not conforming to 8.3 naming.

If you use tools like this, then install it in a path that uses 8.3
naming.  Let the rest of the world keep progressing.  (There hasn't
been an OS released in the last four years, that I know of, that
restricts file names to 8.3).

>Also, who wants to have to type all of that in every time they
>happen to need to type in a path?  That name is very (very very very
>very) long and consumes much horizontal space - is that really
>necessary??  It will be a nuisance with Explorer, etc. and part(s)
>of it will simply not be visible in text areas that display path
>names in some programs.

If you find it a pain, don't use it.

>Perhaps you are trying to be cute?

No, the recommended default for program installation locations is
\Program Files\<Company Name>\<Program Name>\.

>Also, are you saying automatically put it there (or in some more
>practical directory) no matter, or would there be an option to
>install it where ever the user chooses?

This is the default directory used by the install program.  The user
has a chance to change it if they so desire.

>There really has to be an option - stuffing programs on somebodies C
>drive without choice is a very evil thing do to them.  For one
>reason, it is a common design to have the C volume be very small,
>and place applications, etc on other volumes that are designed to
>have applications.  Such designs can have numerous advantages, and
>inflicting a person who has smartly designed their computer with a
>small C drive is really not nice at all.

That's why I change the path to another drive when I install
it.  However, C is pretty much the only drive that can be guaranteed
to be available.  Many machines only have one drive.

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu