httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joseph <Jos...@austintx.net>
Subject Re: Win32 Install Paths
Date Tue, 10 Aug 1999 19:37:09 GMT
Can you just not put anything in the registry at all?  The registry is a
very evil thing and great lengths should be taken to avoid it whenever
practical.  With Apache being a cross-platform project, wouldn't it make
more sense to do as much as practical in a cross-platform fashion?  What
other platforms have a registry?

Also, paths that do not conform to 8.3 naming often cause problems.  Sure
the problems are mostly with M.S. programs (like installers, etc), but
there are tools and what-nots that do not like paths not conforming to 8.3
naming.  Also, who wants to have to type all of that in every time they
happen to need to type in a path?  That name is very (very very very very)
long and consumes much horizontal space - is that really necessary??  It
will be a nuisance with Explorer, etc. and part(s) of it will simply not be
visible in text areas that display path names in some programs.

Perhaps you are trying to be cute?  I would recommend you try really hard
to be practical instead.

Also, are you saying automatically put it there (or in some more practical
directory) no matter, or would there be an option to install it where ever
the user chooses?  There really has to be an option - stuffing programs on
somebodies C drive without choice is a very evil thing do to them.  For one
reason, it is a common design to have the C volume be very small, and place
applications, etc on other volumes that are designed to have
applications.  Such designs can have numerous advantages, and inflicting a
person who has smartly designed their computer with a small C drive is
really not nice at all.