httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Apache using apr.
Date Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:21:34 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:
> My reasons for keeping the contexts.  1)  There are enough places inside
> APR where I have to allocate memory, I need some way to do this.  2)  Dean
> commented yesterday that there may be situations where we want multiple
> allocation techniques within the same server.  By having a context which
> can point to ALL of these techniques at any time, our function prototypes
> are cleaner.

We should use contexts so that the user data can be carried around. Dean
suggested added a void* to the pool structure. That is a bit silly as
that means pools are no longer just memory handling types, but include
other stuff. The best label to apply for that case is "context".

I don't know the merits of including/excluding the user data, but on the
presumption it is a requirement, then we should use "context" as the
primary argument for passing around.

Re: "Why use APR?" -- I totally agree with Dean's long post about why.
Apache needs it, the MPM stuff is orthogonal, and APR may be useful in
the future for other projects (personally, I don't fully recognize the
future benefit of APR for other projects, but even without this, Apache
could use some serious modularization of the platform-specific things).

+1 on keeping APR
+1 on using contexts

Cheers,
-g