httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Win 95 and 98.
Date Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:11:28 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> I would like to consider no longer supporting 95 and 98 on Apache 2.0.  Of
> course, we will do anything possible to make these platforms work, but MS
> doesn't consider these to be server platforms.  Why do we continue totell
> people Apache works on them.
>
> I suggest that in 2.0, we put in a warning, basically saying that Apache
> is no longer a Beta on NT, but that on 95 and 98, we make no garauntees.
> It will work to the best of our abilities, but if it is slow, or doesn't
> have all the options, there is nothing we can do about it.

It seems to me that the primary point of having Windows support is to
enable people to use it as a test platform, for those poor folk who
don't have a Unix machine at home. To me, this means that 95/98 support
are actually _more_ important than NT.

Not having all the options may be unavoidable, of course, and certainly
I'd never recommend that anyone ran a live server on 95 or 98.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html