httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: IOL and send_fb
Date Mon, 16 Aug 1999 09:28:42 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Aug 1999, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > BTW, this although we've managed to slide past it this time, I do have
> > this feeling of impending doom wrt to poll/select and IOL.
>
> anything which relies on poll/select isn't portable... we just barely
> squeak by as it is on NT don't we?  for async stuff we want some other
> abstraction i think -- one which works for completion ports on NT and for
> poll/select on unix (or /dev/poll on solaris, or io signals on linux, or
> even async i/o on VMS :).
>
> one possibility is eventlib, which comes with bind (i used it ages ago for
> one of my prototypes)... but the ISC guys say to wait a bit -- they're
> working on a portable library (with NT and unix ports) which will do this
> sort of stuff, and support SMP/multithreading.  i'll probably do the first
> crack of the async stuff using eventlib though, because i don't want to
> wait for the new library (and it doesn't sound hard to switch later).
>
> oh the other problem with poll/select on IOL is that you can't ask an
> arbitrary layer for a selectable object and hope to get something which
> always works... at best you need to ask a layer for a set of poll masks
> which it is interested in.  whereas with something like eventlib, the
> layer can register its own events...

Err, yeah, that's the feeling of impending doom I had! That is, I
suspect we are going to need the facility, but it ain't portable. If you
are thinking of having a full-blown event handling library (which is
probably a damn good idea) then I have two comments:

a) Shouldn't it be part of APR?

b) Event libraries tend to end up being pretty pervasive (in their use),
so we'd better get cracking.

The downside is that a portable event library is pretty tricky stuff.
Especially if you want to support older 'nix - which have a tendency to
be picky about what you can select on and the like. Where do I find out
more about the ISC stuff?

Cheers,

Ben.

--