httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Win32 Install Paths
Date Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:26:04 GMT
Joseph wrote:

> >Try as you might, fighting against conventions for that platform is
> >not practical. I don't like it any more than you do, but don't see a
> >reason to fight it.
>
> Fight what?  What convention?  There is no "convention" to put
> meaningless stuff into the registry.  People simply do it because
> they don't know any better, and some of them are learning-resistant.

Naming conventions, that's what.  There is a convention for
key naming.  And we're not putting 'meaningless stuff' in,
but the least amount of information that will let the software
operate in a manner familiar to Windows NT users.

> What about conventions for the project?  I'm far from expert,
> but I have a hunch it is not convention for Apache to stuff
> things into the registry on any high percentage of the various
> platforms supported.

You weren't here for the layout wars.. er, discussions.. I guess.
There is something to be said for following normal installation
practice on any particular platform.  Not violating the PLA is
a big part of it.

> So if all of those other platforms do just fine without a registry,
> what is the reasoning to use the registry on Win32?

Because other products do.  NT services need registry entries,
particularly if you're going to play around with multiple
instantiations.
--
#ken    P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://ASFD.MeepZor.Com/>