httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Where to start the Apache 2.0 code base
Date Thu, 05 Aug 1999 23:00:27 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> I'm seeing Roy's point.  Visualize it this way: if we took the current
> apache-apr or apache-2.0 CVS tree, whose development looked like
>
> 1.3.x -> experiment -> revamp -> rehash -> new idea -> aha! basis for
2.0

> The history for that is incredibly hard to follow.  Whereas if the
> history looked more like
>
> 1.3.x -> aha! basis for 2.0
>
> where that '->' was as minimal as possible, then we've got a much better
> chance of having a useful history long-term, as well as, as Roy said,
> probably catching a lot of errors.

This I can sort of see as being worth doing, but what I can't quite get
to grips with is the idea that we take the huge diff and somehow tease
it apart into a series of sub-diffs that each:

a) result in working code

b) represent a single "change"

that sounds like a nightmare to me. OTOH, if the aim is to end up with
something that looks _exactly_ like the current MPM tree, then I guess
it is at least possible (though incredibly laborious). If we include bug
fixing along the way, then I predict an unholy mess.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html