httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: [Patch]: PR 3454, PR 3019. .htaccess ignored in <Directory ~ "reg-ex"> directories.
Date Thu, 05 Aug 1999 20:00:40 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> > I can't find that behaviour documented.  Even if it is, at
> > first blush I consider it broken -- if the only <Directory*>
> > container you *have* is a regex one, not processing .htaccess
> > files in matching directories is counterintuitive and (IMHO)
> > bogus.
>
> http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#directory
>
>     If multiple (non-regular expression) directory sections match the
>     directory (or its parents) containing a document, then the
>     directives are applied in the order of shortest match first,
>     interspersed with the directives from the .htaccess files.

IMHO, that hardly documents the fact that .htaccess processing
*isn't* done for regex containers.  I don't see how it can be
reasonably inferred, either.  If the only <Directory*> container
I have is "<Directory ~ .*/secret[a-z][5-9]$>", how am I supposed
to figure out that .htaccess files won't be processed in any
matching directories?

And, as I said, I still think that behaviour is broken.  Processing
the same .htaccess file multiple times is not on -- but not processing
it at all doesn't win any points with me, either.

> > >                                                         And
> > > for both the PRs you mention they don't even need the regex,
> > > they can just use wildcard which works as expected (and is
> > > more efficient).
> >
> > Yah, but that's a handwave.  I'm sure there are conditions in
> > which that's not the case.
>
> No it's not a handwave, it's a statement of a fact -- i'm saying that
> they don't even need us to "fix" this "problem" for their configurations.

My point is that saying that those two specific cases don't
need regexes hardly allows us to assume that *all* <Directory*>
cases can be reasonably represented w/o regexes.
--
#ken    P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://ASFD.MeepZor.Com/>