httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael H. Voase" <mvo...@midcoast.com.au>
Subject Re: Get rid of child_num, thread_num in MPM's conn_rec?
Date Wed, 04 Aug 1999 14:17:42 GMT
Gday,
	I am inclined to agree with Dean on this one.

	Considering that each mpm will have its own take
on how it works, then having a common configure / status
api does make sense. It would go a lot further with
consensus between all module writers so that the modules
requiring this facility need only be rewritten once.

	From there the issue of scoreboards and such
becomes less of a problem. The mpm can have its own
scoreboard and can translate the info from the scoreboard
into something more palatable by the support module.

	However as a consequence, the mpm module writer
then has a choice. If they wish to use the api then so
be it. If not, then the mpm writer can stipulate that
modules requiring the config / status api should not
be built in conjuction with that particular mpm. They
can then go ahead and roll their own if thats what
floats their boat.

me AUD$0.0307c worth...

Cheers Mik.

Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 05:02:01PM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > As to putting scoreboard functionality into mpm ... I'm really torn --
> > because the 1.3 scoreboard is not only intimately related to the process
> > model, it's also intimately related to the protocol being served.  Whereas
> > mpm abstracts both of those.
> >
> > Handling the multiple process models isn't so bad with a
> > get_first/get_next interface like I suggested a while back.
> >
> > Handling arbitrary protocols... yuck.
>
> We're probably stepping into problems that the network/server
> management gurus have already solved with SNMP, etc., but I know
> absolutely nothing about that.
>
> Each protocol module could have an interface to list table columns,
> per connection. Each MPM could have an interface to give out
> connection IDs. mod_status_TNG could then get connection IDs and then
> request ithe table row for each connection ID from the protocol
> module.
>
> --
> Manoj Kasichainula - manojk at io dot com - http://www.io.com/~manojk/
> "This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly.  It should be thrown with
> great force." -- Dorothy Parker

 /~\     /~\            CASTLE INDUSTRIES PTY. LTD.
 | |_____| |            Incorporated 1969. in N.S.W., Australia
 |         |            Phone +612 6567 1227 Fax +612 6567 1449
 |   /~\   |            Web http://www.midcoast.com.au/~mvoase
 |   [ ]   |            Michael H. Voase.  Director.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~          Castle Industries - Industrial Strength
Solutions.