httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache 2000, err Apache 2.0 gets real
Date Sun, 01 Aug 1999 14:04:30 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:
>    2. That autoconf is used "for portability reasons" but
>       the other various required shell scripts (and there are
>       always additional ones needed) almost without a doubt
>       ignore portability. Just a few days ago I went to install
>       libtool 1.3.3 on an old machine. The ./configure script
>       overloaded the small 'sh' buffer, so I needed to force
>       it to use 'ksh' (this is more common than you think).
>       But anyway, the 'make check' and 'make install' failed!
>       Why? Because they used non-portable options to 'egrep'
>       and 'cp' !

Yeah, well, I tried to install libtool on an old machine, too, and not
only did I have these problems, but in the end it didn't work anyway. I
did try to debug it, but it has to be the least maintainable package I
have ever had the displeasure to dirty my hands with. Bar none.

In the end I gave up and built a new machine. It was cheaper.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html