httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: First in a long line of APR related patches.
Date Mon, 23 Aug 1999 04:22:00 GMT
On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 10:19:26PM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Ryan Bloom wrote:
>
> > allowing us to control how the underlying APR layer works.  Is the APR
> > layer signal safe, are threads cancelable inside APR functions., etc.
>
> async notification/cancellation are bad/non-portable...

yes, they are bad. But, third-party modules will end up using them,
unless we ban it. We don't want to bother with blocking and unblocking
signals+cancellation for every APR call inside Apache proper (well, at
least we don't with the mpmt_pthread and dexter MPMs), but we do
inside some third-party modules.

Yeah, one alternative is for modules to do this themselves, instead of
relying on APR to block signals. I don't think that's too bad, but it
could get messy.