httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <>
Subject Re: Which thread/process
Date Fri, 13 Aug 1999 03:53:46 GMT
On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 07:04:49PM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> Explain to me how the child garauntess that no other child server has the
> same number at the same time, without some sort of child number
> identification.  If the child has a child number identification, then this
> whole issue is moot, and somebody just needs to tell me where it is.

In fact, child and thread numbers can (and will)  be used to build a
connection ID in all the MPMs currently in the tree. But, calling it a
"connection ID" allows an asynchronous MPM to assign connection IDs in
a completely different way, so that all modules still work.

It is almost just a distinction in terminology. Almost.

> I see three options.  1)Each child uses numbers within a range, but
> where does the child get the range from?

So far, for mpmt_pthread and dexter, connection ID is a long, and will
be set to child_num * HARD_THREAD_LIMIT + thread_num.

> The idea sounds good, now just give me some idea of how to implement it,
> because that's the part I am not seeing.

I'm almost done with an implementation for the Unix MPMs (the dexter
MPM is taking all the time, because it just didn't have the
infrastructure in place to support this).

Manoj Kasichainula - manojk at io dot com -
"If I have trouble installing Linux, something is wrong. Very wrong."
  - Linus Torvalds

View raw message