httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/mpm/conf httpd.conf-dist
Date Thu, 12 Aug 1999 18:00:30 GMT
On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 01:53:50PM -0000, rse@hyperreal.org wrote:
>   Add a little bit of info for the MPM directives, because
>   dexters directives are confusing.

Of course, I'm open to changing the names of the directives, but I'll
explain why they're named what they are.

>   NumServers          => StartServers

Dexter has a constant number of servers, so I didn't want to imply
that the number of processes started can change. I think it's best to
keep this one named differently than the mpmt_pthread and prefork
MPMs, because the reasoning behind a good NumServers value is
completely different than that for StartServers under the other MPMs.

>   MaxThreadsPerChild  => MaxThreadsPerServer or just MaxThreads

This is actually the maximum numbe of threads per child. The maximum
number of worker threads = MaxThreadsPerChild * NumServers. At the
moment, the number of threads/child is managed individually by each
child.

>   MaxRequestsPerChild => MaxRequestsPerThread

This is also actually the number of maximum requests (okay,
connections) per child, not per thread. The original purpose of this
directive, AFAIK,  was to curtail memory leaks, so I think it's best
to leave it as a PerChild directive.

--
Manoj Kasichainula - manojk@raleigh.ibm.com
IBM, Apache Development