httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Which thread/process
Date Thu, 12 Aug 1999 18:35:54 GMT
On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 10:52:56AM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> Okay, we took out the only place in the 2.0 tree where we designated a
> unique number for each thread within each process.  Namely, the
> thread_num/child_num pair in the conn_rec.  So how am I now supposed to
> get a deterministic value for the exact thread I am running in?

What you really need isn't a child_num/thread_num pair, but an
identifier for a connection that is unique at any given point in time
but repeats as often as possible (to minimize the number of named
pipes).

I suggest adding an index field to conn_rec. This number is set by
the MPM after ap_new_connection is called. This way, mod_cgid can work
properly even in an asynchronous threaded server.

I'm guessing this field would be useful to other modules as well.
PHP4's TSRM could possibly derive the indices it uses from
conn_rec->index.

Thoughts?

"By 'standie,' I mean those life-sized cardboard figures that stand up. By
'pirate,' I mean 'Arrrrr!'" -- Steve Jackson