httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Apache/pthread and locking problem
Date Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:07:06 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.4.05.9908112248510.13706-100000@kim.ispra.webweaving.org> you wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
>> I had it compile on a FreeBSD 3.? server and it served some pages.
>> Quite quickly as I recall.
>
> Same here, so I was surprized about ralf's initial posting; but on
> 4-Current it is easy to reproduce.

As I said, I think you both tried "httpd -X"  _OR_ you used a client which was
able to fill the socket with the request in one step, so the worker threads
never had to be suspended. But I'm sure it would also had blocked for you when
you tried "telnet localhost 8080" and tried to enter the request manually.
Because then the first read() in the worker thread results in a -1, a select()
is done, the thread scheduler suspends the worker thread, the accept thread
gets control again, the accept thread enters the accept mutex and blocks the
whole process - Bingo!
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com