httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Apache/pthread and locking problem
Date Thu, 12 Aug 1999 06:10:26 GMT

In article <199908111949.PAA28895@devsys.jaguNET.com> you wrote:
> Ryan Bloom wrote:
>>
>> This is an issue.  No doubt about it.  I do not believe this was ever
>> tried in a user-land thread environment.  The easy solution is to remove
>> the locks like you did for now.  This will cause any system with a
>> thundering herd problem to go a bit slower, but the code will still work.
>>
>> Jim, didn't you have this code working on FreeBSD at one point?  Did you
>> have to do anything special to it?
>
> I had it compile on a FreeBSD 3.? server and it served some pages.
> Quite quickly as I recall.

I guess you started the beast with -X, right?  Then it worked, of course.  But
with user-space threads and no -X it cannot work if the request processing in
a worker thread ever has to gave up control to the scheduler because of a
blocking situation (because then in the meantime the accept thread enters the
inter-process mutex and this way suspends the whole process)...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com