httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Apache/pthread and locking problem
Date Tue, 10 Aug 1999 18:42:24 GMT
On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 08:21:03PM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> That's the problem. For a nice backtrace via gdb I can use -X, but
> then the problem doesn't occur. When I start without -X and attach
> gdb to the processes I get a bogus backtrace.

Does your gdb have thread support working correctly?

> And when I use ktrace
> I cannot really see the locking problem, because it then looks more
> like an endless waitpid() related loop.

Weeeird. Some sort of artifact of the FreeBSD thread libraries?

> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x180e05a4 in _flock ()
> #1  0x80689db in accept_mutex_on (locknum=0) at acceptlock.c:612
> #2  0x806817a in accept_thread (dummy=0x80c6130) at http_accept.c:126
> #3  0x81bffac in ?? ()
>
> This is with USE_ACCEPT_QUEUE after I connected to the child.

Keep USE_ACCEPT_QUEUE off and use USE_MULTI_ACCEPT instead. The accept
queue stuff may still work, but it hasn't gotten anywhere near as much
testing lately.

You may get better results with gdb if you define NO_THREADS. This
doesn't change the common run path, so you should still see the same
bug.

"...and as she finally reached orgasm, she screamed 'the mail server
will be down for three hours tonight!  Yes!  Oh, yes!'" -- J.D. Falk