httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Life is hard, and then you die." <ron...@innovation.ch>
Subject Re: warnings on http_main.c
Date Sat, 07 Aug 1999 20:43:34 GMT

Greg Stein wrote:

> Life is hard, and then you die. wrote:
> > Well, I had given up on the new mod_digest making into 1.3, and was
> > thinking that the mod_dav folks would possibly distribute it separately
> > with mod_dav. But of course if it goes in 1.3 all the better. There is
>
> First that I heard of this :-)

:-) I meant to talk to you about this when the release was out.

> I'm not sure that we *can* distribute it ourselves. It would be quite
> difficult to override something within Apache itself. Sure, it can be
> done, but the instructions and number of ways to fail would just be too
> much.

Well, since mod_digest is not compiled in by default you could just
put it in the same place as you're putting mod_dav (modules/extra/?).
But it was just a thought, since you said DAV required Digest.

> > still an open question as to whether the truerand library can (I think
> > it can) and should (would make things easier on folks) be bundled with
> > Apache, though.
>
> I'm not sure what the truerand library is, but I'm presuming it
> generates really good (cryptographic?) random numbers in a portable
> fashion. If so, then I would really like to see it in Apache also (we

That's basically the gist. I haven't tested it in detail, but some
statistics on my friends linux box showed fairly good results. And
there is a version for Windoze too. Of course, things like /dev/random
on Linux and FreeBSD are preferable when they exist, but for all others
truerand should do the trick.

> need it for UUID generation), but I might suggest that inclusion waits

Interesting. Any pointers on that (I'm not really familiar with the
DAV specs)? I presume you want to seed the counter with a random
number? Wouldn't using something like ip-address and port be better?

> until 2.0. I'm guilty of putting a library in Apache already :-), yet it
> probably seems best to just wait. Especially given the freeze :-)
> Anyways, when mod_dav 1.0 is done and 2.0 starts up, then I'll see that
> mod_dav and truerand make it into 2.0.

Sensible enough.

  Cheers,

  Ronald