httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on implementing mod_status in MPM...
Date Thu, 05 Aug 1999 23:58:48 GMT
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> With a shared pipe, we basically have to work out a bus protocol, make
> sure all data sent on the pipe was smaller than PIPE_BUF, etc., so I'd
> lean towards having a coordinator process, which collects data from
> all the children and passes it to the child running the mod_status
> request. No matter what pipe system we use, we'd have to make sure
> that there's always a thread available in every child really soon to
> respond to requests for status info.

I tend to think that any output from a mod_status-like service would
only (and should only) give an approximation of what's going on.
For very busy servers, you'll get stale data no matter what. What's
important is that you can see things like if a process/thread
is spinning, and get a feel for how the load is being shared
amoung threads/processes, and close-to-real-time is good enough IMO.