httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Get rid of child_num, thread_num in MPM's conn_rec?
Date Wed, 04 Aug 1999 00:11:21 GMT
On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 07:30:29PM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> Until we have replaced the scoreboard function, I would rather we didn't
> take it out of the mpm's completely.

We can put them back if necessary, but I doubt they ever will be.

> Those two fields are not being used,
> because we aren't using the scoreboard, but we will need some way to
> identify which child and which thread we are talking about if/when we put
> back in the scoreboard stuff.

Not necessarily. In many MPMs, any information about a thread will be
complete nonsense, because it is either unthreaded, or because we're
having fun with asynchrony. Many won't have multiple children, or may
even pass connections between children (like the mainframe systems,
perhaps). Some may have neither children nor threads. I'm hoping to
write a PalmPilot MPM one of these days.

Any future mod_status module will either have to be written
specifically for each MPM, or be MPM-independant. In the first case,
the MPM can store the information itself. For the latter, we can't
assume any association between an connection and a thread or a
process.