httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Where to start the Apache 2.0 code base
Date Tue, 03 Aug 1999 21:05:21 GMT
On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 01:18:43PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>         mpm repository            scratch repository
>         =====================     ========================
>    1.   merge in all work      1. cvs export 1.3.8

What do you mean "all work". Do you mean the 1.3.8 work, or APRizing,
or something completely different?

>    2.   move files to final    2. move files so that the old files
>         locations for dists       correspond to their final loc in mpm
>    3.   continue hacking       3. cvs add all to form rev 1.1 == 1.3.8
>    4.   tag as merge point     4. tag as APACHE_1_3_8_moved
>    5.   continue hacking       5. diff -r APACHE_1_3_8_moved mpm_merge_point
>    6.   identify diffs from scratch as change sets
>                                7. merge diffs as complete change sets
>    8.   move mpm to archive    8. merge changes after mpm merge point
>                                9. move scratch rcs files to 2.0 directory

I agree that step 6 is useful, but is it feasible? (This is
not a rhetorical question, I'm seriously asking.) Quite a few files
have been completely rewritten between apache-1.3 and MPM. Remember,
the evolution was 1.3 -> apache-nspr -> apache-pthreads -> MPM; there
has been plenty of writing, rearranging, rewriting, deleting, and just
stomping on during all those steps, some of which isn't logged in CVS
at all.

  -- Sam Brown, "The Washington Post", January 26, 1977