httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <>
Subject Re: Apache 2000, err Apache 2.0 gets real
Date Sun, 01 Aug 1999 14:54:12 GMT

In article <> you wrote:

>> Sure, look at this: For the DSO situation we currently use a different
>> approach for building inside and outside the source tree. Ideally each Apache
>> 2.0 module should be able to build under both environments and there should be
>> no difference for the author and end user. But both environments are
>> different.  With a plain Autoconf configure script we get into trouble.  There
>> you need a little bit of wrapper code (not more than a few KB of shell script)
>> which for instance knows paths, knows how to load a global config.cache, etc.
>> can provide a reasonable user interface here which shadows the environment
>> differences _BOTH_ to the end user _AND_ to the Autoconf scripts in the
>> background.
> For the DSO build outside the tree I figured we could keep using the apxs
> approach.  The automake/libtool setup would generate the apxs script as
> part of its normal duties and thus each module would have an apxs
> build-rule which would tke care of the build-outside-of-tree issue.
> Obviously nothing special is needed for the in-tree builds.
> automake/libtool can completely handle this without any additional
> wrappers needed.

And how do you this way allow a complex module to run their own Autoconf
checks outside the source tree, Rasmus? And how do those modules build
theirself with libtool? By providing each one their own ltconfig
files? That's not very user friendly to third party authors and full of
redundancy. You need a wrapper which provides a module with the _SAME_
environment inside and outside, I think. Else we again have to deal with the
various differences and this already showed to become nasty.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall

View raw message