httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2000, err Apache 2.0 gets real
Date Sun, 01 Aug 1999 16:26:07 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> > If _we_ can provide it, then why not? Not to be political or
> > parochial, but why should we favor a GNU package over an ASF one?
>
> Ohhh..... seems like you're thinking the ASF is the ultimate glory group.  I
> think neither GNU nor ASF are such glory groups that they can use such an NIH
> argument (that's what I dislike on RMS, too). In general one should use the
> _BEST_ tool (at least as long as license issues are no problem, of course).
> But ok, I cannot change this. I've to accept your opinion here.

"the ultimate glory group"?? Well, if you are saying that I'm more
concerned about would be better for ASF over GNU then I have to
say I agree. It's not about glory though. I don't think we've
ever had the "not built here" mentality. Look at HSregex or Expat.
We've used "outside" code with no problem at all (look at ap_snprintf.c).
We have some useful code and useful tools, and we should try to make
them available for people. What if we had written a good fast malloc?
Should we not make some effort to distribute it simply because GNU
has one, or there are others available? The fact that it's been used
on Apache provides a good track record, so maybe other OpenSource
projects would benefit from this. All I'm saying is that we can
also do the same with the helper scripts. And replacing those with
shtools (or ANY package) without any good reason doesn't make
sense to me. Why?

Kind of off track, but really not. I just had to buy 4 new tires for
my Expedition.... the wheel is constantly being reinvented. :)