httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2000, err Apache 2.0 gets real
Date Sun, 01 Aug 1999 16:14:19 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> That's silly. The argument for creating shtool was non-technical, too. I
> seem to remember it was aesthetic, and therefore I should conclude that
> shtool was reinventing the wheel for political reasons, using your
> logic. Particularly since it is a mere bundling of the helper scripts.

Well, that's not quite true. shtools does contain some helpers or
helpers-inspired scripts (or helper scripts that were inspired by
other scripts), but it also contains more, from the useful to the
cute (I'm thinking about the propeller here :) :) ).

All I'm saying is that we have the opportunity to provide another
useful tool/package to the OpenSource community. We've already
been using and maintaining it so why not continue doing so instead
of dropping it for an "outside" package that does what we already
do. I _know_ this conflicts with shtools. But the fact is, I think
is that the helper scripts have proven themselves already and
shtools hasn't been as "exposed" as the helper scripts, so
using shtools gets us into a really weird situation...