httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2000, err Apache 2.0 gets real
Date Sun, 01 Aug 1999 15:59:56 GMT
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> It would be cool to get a real example of this from an intelligent
> configure.in script run through a current version of autoconf.

That's the key, I guess, is that the concern is "intelligent"
configure.in scripts. There are some that simply aren't. And when
they aren't, it's the _end user_ that needs to hassle with it. This
is especially true when the script makes a "wrong" decision and
then builds an entire source layout based on that. I wish I
could recall the package but there was one that allowed the
used of shmget or mmap and would always select shmget if it
was found. It then went ahead and added the shmget-related
source files to the OBJ list in the various Makefiles. ./configure
did not allow you to bypass that. Sooooo you either had to edit
configure, remove the check for shmget, then re-run (making sure
to remove config.cache first :) ) or else hand-edit the Makefiles.

I won't even get into the command-line vs. file-based configuration
religious debate except that to say with file based, they are
more open to being more extensively self-documenting.

Oh boy... ;)