httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: Apache 2000, err Apache 2.0 gets real
Date Sun, 01 Aug 1999 15:47:23 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> So I've to admit that I still don't see a real reason why the ASF should still
> create a package out of the helper scripts and ignore to use GNU shtool

Maybe just because we're already using it and because it works
and because we can provide it to others, rather than (OK, I'll
admit it) saying "Oh hell, why use what we have, let's simply
drop that and use shtool for some unknown reason except for
the fact that it's a GNU tool."

If _we_ can provide it, then why not? Not to be political or
parochial, but why should we favor a GNU package over an ASF one?
Considering that the helper scripts have been most likely used by
everyone who's built Apache, I think we have proven that they
work and are pretty portable. So why not let them be another
package or project under ASF?

I realize this is a charged and personal issue since you own shtools.
I also realize it's even more so since shtool is a GNU project and
not an ASF one. So I'm trying to tread lightly. It's just that I'd
prefer another feather in ASF's cap, rather than in GNU's, especially
since we already have it and it's from their use in Apache that the
helper scripts have gotten the most testing, feedback, etc...
   Jim Jagielski   |||   |||