httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2000, err Apache 2.0 gets real
Date Sun, 01 Aug 1999 14:23:47 GMT
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> > Yeah, sure. If we decide that each module gets its own subdir and Makefile,
> > Automake becomes more interesting. At least when you still can live with the
> > fact that Automake's generated Makefiles are not really nice ones ;).
>
> Who cares?  autoconf also generates a butt-ugly ./configure script.  I
> don't see why it matters what the generated files look like.

Well, there is the minor point that that's all the end-user has to
work with, so they'll send patches relative to ./configure which
we'll need to backtrace into configure.in. Or else we'll get
something like "this needs to be changed."

On some OSs, unfortunately, you have to edit ./configure to
get it to work or to "override" some assumptions.