httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2000, err Apache 2.0 gets real
Date Sun, 01 Aug 1999 09:37:24 GMT

In article <37A0C2B7.8BB584F9@raleigh.ibm.com> you wrote:

> [...]
> It's time to create Apache 2.0 and begin working on our first
> beta-release.
> [...]

I see a lot of confusion in the group and with the recent fork-offs it became
clear that we tend to do quick forks to avoid even more frustration. That's ok
for evaluation approaches like Apache/pthreads and Apache/MPM. But please do
not do an easy decision for Apache 2.0. I don't mean that we should do a slow
decision with lots of discussions. No, i just mean that we shouldn't hurry up.

Instead _PLEASE_ select a guy in the group with a little bit of free time
(perhaps Bill who already started on this) and let him _WRITE DOWN_ the
possible approaches to start the _real_ Apache 2.0 out of the existing code
bases (Apache 1.3, Apache pthread, Apache MPM, EAPI, APR, etc. pp.). Don't
discuss _THIS_ or try to convince others of your optinion, please. Or we do
not find a consensus because we find outself in endless religious discussions.
Just send your personal wish to Bill and let Bill assemble them in a clear
list. Use a dead-line for this, of course. Then let Bill post this list and
let _all_ _VOTE_ on it. And then WITHOUT MORE DISCUSSIONS lets _DO_ the
approach which was selected.

Else I see no chance that we ever find a final decision...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com