httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Randy Terbush" <ra...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: Win32 Install Paths
Date Tue, 10 Aug 1999 19:46:26 GMT

> Can you just not put anything in the registry at all?  The
> registry is a
> very evil thing and great lengths should be taken to avoid
> it whenever
> practical.  With Apache being a cross-platform project,
> wouldn't it make
> more sense to do as much as practical in a cross-platform
> fashion?  What
> other platforms have a registry?
>
> Also, paths that do not conform to 8.3 naming often cause
> problems.  Sure
> the problems are mostly with M.S. programs (like
> installers, etc), but
> there are tools and what-nots that do not like paths not
> conforming to 8.3
> naming.  Also, who wants to have to type all of that in
> every time they
> happen to need to type in a path?  That name is very (very
> very very very)
> long and consumes much horizontal space - is that really
> necessary??  It
> will be a nuisance with Explorer, etc. and part(s) of it
> will simply not be
> visible in text areas that display path names in some programs.

Try as you might, fighting against conventions for that platform is
not practical. I don't like it any more than you do, but don't see a
reason to fight it.

> Perhaps you are trying to be cute?  I would recommend you
> try really hard
> to be practical instead.

Don't be a smart ass.  I'm following some given conventions. The
current layout for our distributions are:

\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache

The above does not fit into the future of this group given the name
change and possible other "Apache" software projects that will go
under that directory.

I like Ryan Bloom's suggestion and will head in that direction.