httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Re: newbie thread/process model question in hybrid server
Date Sun, 11 Jul 1999 14:03:46 GMT
> Maybe, maybe not. If the segfault is just an accidental NULL dereference then
> no damage is done.
>
> The problem is that if the shared memory space is the entire server, in the
> case of single process / multithread, you lose all active connections. Even
> in hybrid mode you lose a large number. If there's a chance to recover by
> just killing the thread you may as well try.

But how do you know?  If you can't be sure that no memory corruption has
taken place, then continuing is completely invalid, as far as I am
concerned.  For all you know someone used a buffer overrun to insert a
hack and on each subsequent request your server will email your password
file to the world.  Ok, an extreme and unlikely case, especially on OS/2,
but I think the point still holds.

-Rasmus